Sunday, September 23, 2012

Slurp of Sapsuckers

This morning we were distracted by a slurp of Red-Breasted Sapsuckers. I had never seen this kind of woodpecker before. I'm not sure if I was more thrilled about the woodpecker or the notion that I am paying more attention to my surroundings and seeing things differently. My eye is getting stronger every day.

Red-Breasted Sapsucker


The sapsuckers not only eat bugs, but suck the sap out of trees. The holes left behind by this little guy were impressive.


He was actually pretty shy. He would climb to the back of the tree, out of our site, if we made any sort of movement. 


Some sapsuckers are known to to live in Washington state all year round. But breeding sapsuckers will migrate from the West Coast of Canada to California.


The Rufous Hummingbird (not photographed YET!) is known to buddy-up with the Sapsuckers, following "the woodpecker around during the day, feeding at the wells the sapsucker keeps flowing." http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Red-breasted_Sapsucker/lifehistory


No comments:

Post a Comment